Wednesday, November 21, 2012

Thanksgiving Thoughts



I thought this little guy was an appropriate image as I reflect on all I give thanks for

at this time. I can imagine that some would question what a koala has to do with

Thanksgiving Day in the USA.  If you've been following my blog you probably know

that Australia has a very significant place in my story.   Aussie isn’t just “the land down

under” for the Strickland kids, it is part of who we are and part of our story.

I suppose the picture of a koala serves to remind me of the wonder of God’s plan in

each of our lives.  The story of how my father from Clarksville, Texas and my mother

from Sydney, Australia met during the second world war sounds a bit like a movie

script.  It is a story that includes joy and triumphs as well as sadness and heartache but

isn’t that the case for all of our stories.   As I give thanks for God’s blessings in my life

I am profoundly aware of all the graces and challenges that have brought me here.  The

act of giving thanks is deeply embedded in what it means to be Christian and what it means

to be Catholic.  As we celebrate this holiday I pray that all of us can be more aware of all

we give thanks for and I pray that our gratitude will strengthen us to face the joys and the

sorrows of tomorrow.  May God bless you and all who are dear to you on this Thanksgiving Day

2012.



No comments:

Post a Comment