Friday, April 8, 2011

Running Back

Apologies for the length of time between posts. I had the "rough duty" of a trip to Poland, Czech Republic, Austria and Hungary as a Lenten pilgrimage and just returned on April 1. The picture is of St. Stephen's Cathedral in Vienna. Europe is full of the beautiful churches and I couldn't help think of the Chapel of Saints Peter and Paul. Our Chapel could fit inside some of these grand Cathedrals and Basilicas of Europe but regardless of its size I pray that it will be a place of prayer and worship that is significant in the lives of the people of Tyler as the basilicas have been significant in the lives of the people in Europe. It was a wonderful trip that covered the spectrum from glorious Cathedrals, the beauties of the country side and the memory of the Nazi concentration camps. I prayed for all of the diocese and all who have requested special prayers as we traveled. As you can imagine that is quite a long list but it was a blessing to be able to pray for all of you at the font where John Paul II was baptized, at the cell where St. Maximillian Kolbe was imprisoned before he was martyred, at the Shine of Saint Faustina and at some many other holy sites. The Chapel is going well. Lots of details to work on simultaneously but when I get overwhelmed I think of what it must have been like to build the Cathedrals of Europe in the Middle Ages............no Email or cell phones for sure!!!!!!!!! I didn't manage to run in Europe but we of course did a lot of walking and I did take the chance to exercise in the fitness rooms of a couple of the hotels..........have to work off all that Polish and Austrian food!!!! Since I've been back I've gotten some good runs in as I prepare for the 25th St. Gregory fun run. I was there for the first Fun Run in 1986 and although I've missed a few I've been there for most of them. I'll try to keep you "posted" more frequently as the Spring continues into summer.

No comments:

Post a Comment