Sunday, October 10, 2010

A view from the altar



It is probably difficult to tell the difference between this picture and the last one posted but this one is the view from the altar area of the new Chapel. I stood on the slab that has been poured for the elevated area of the altar and took the picture. It was about 4 in the afternoon and I could imagine the sun streaming in from the west which will be the left side of the Chapel if you are seated in the pews.

Today is 10/10/10........we'll all have to stop and say a prayer for our nation, our families and our world at 10:10 PM on 10/10/10.

I've always been intrigued by those day and date alignments. The first on I remember was 7/7/77 the summer after I graduated from high school. I remember remarking to my mother wondering what the future would hold from that day forward. Little did we know that my brother would die before that month was out. That tragedy in my family in so many ways laid the groundwork for my entering the seminary that August. I remember people telling me that dealing with a loss like that at 18 really made me grow up fast and I have been amazed by the ways God has used that experience to make me a better priest.

We can't know what the days beyond 10/10/10 will hold. I'm sure they will hold tragedies and triumphs as always but most importantly let us remember........whatever the future holds.........God holds us in the palm of His hand.

No comments:

Post a Comment